Thursday, July 17, 2014

Comfort zones

 
Fun summer project!  
 
 It is funny how certain things, foods or TV shows can become comfort zones for us. Sometimes it is the smell of a comfort food like Mac and Cheese or Chicken and dumplings cooking that make us feel warm and safe. Or that favorite quilt to snuggle up with for a nap can be just the ticket for a great slumber. Shows that you watched growing up or just so many times that you feel apart of the family are nice to turn on when life gets stressed and you can just sink into the couch and forget about everything else going on. My daughter loves The Any Griffith Show, it is defiantly her comfort zone. There is something about hearing Barney and Aunt B and little Opie Taylor first thing in the morning that sets her day off right. She watches at least one episode everyday. For me it is Little House on the Prairie, I love hanging out with the Ingalls family and it always brings a smile to my face. Every episode has a biblical lesson of some kind and everyone in the family always does their part and they lean on each other. I particularly love the older shows from the 60's 70"s and 80"s. There were still actually a few values in Hollywood back in those days, not much, but some anyway.  Family TV programming was a weekly privilege on major networks, Friday night was it with shows like The Dukes of Hazard, Little House on the Prairie and shows of that nature. It was not until I heard the theme song to Dallas or Miami Vice that I knew it was time for me to get to bed.  Netflix is a great resource for some of these old shows or now you can find box sets and you can just buy the whole show. I would recommend re - introducing yourself to the old classic TV shows for your kiddos or even yourself. Set your mind back to a time when things were less complicated then they are now and you don't have to worry about what might be portrayed next to the little eyes you have watching the TV.
 
   Below I spent a whopping $3.00 and put together and Andy Griffith wall for my daughter in her room. We had so much fun putting it all together. I found 3 Barnie tins at a yard sale for $2, I got 3 of them all for $2, what a deal. I already had an old French memory board from years ago so I pulled it out of the attic. You can find them at craft stores or even Wal-Mart for less then $10 if you do not have extras or old ones you can use. It was not the right kind of blue however for her room so we misted a little black spray paint all over it to make it look old. Now just some of the blue hue shows through and it coordinates better with the blue in her room. My daughter placed buttons on the board that she made at the library during a FREE craft day for children as part of their summer program. She printed Andy Griffith Show pictures and they had a button machine that made buttons for the kiddos.Next we went to the library and looked up Andy Griffith show pictures and my daughter printed out a few sheets of them for 10 cents a sheet. We cut them out and placed them on the board. Now when she decides to switch things up a bit or become a die hard fan of another show like Adam 12 from the 6o's which I see coming because she seems to like that show we can change out her pictures easily.
 
 
Happy decorating
Love, Kimberley

 
 

No comments: